I’ve been very busy this week preparing an exhibition of my work. The gallery is at Fredholm Hageopplevelser, a beautiful cottage garden close to where we live.
For the first time this year they have an art gallery in the garden, and I’m very happy to show my work there.
Open Saturdays and Sundays, 12.00 – 17.00
From June 21st – August 31st
For more information, see www.fredholm.no
The finished portrait from the book Oil Painting Techniques and materials by Harold Speed.
Click here to read part one of this post with pictures of the work in progress.
This is a portrait I’ve been working on today. I hope to finish the painting tomorrow.
The painting is published in a book by Harold Speed in which he explains the stages of the portrait. I printed a photo of the finished painting and followed the instructions in the book. It was a great exercise, I really learned a lot.
I wanted to take lots of pictures of the work in progress , but I was so busy painting that I forgot to stop and pick up the camera.
Here I painted the clothes in flat colours and did some more work on the nose, mouth and eyes.
Blocking in the background and local color of the hair and the planes of the head.
A loose charcoal drawing, transferred to the canvas with help of a grid.
Still life with peppers
oil on canvas paper
18 x 24 cm
This is a quick color study. It still amazes me how bright and colourful a ‘dull’ color like yellow ochre can appear against a greyed background.
For this sketch I used two earth colours: Venetian Red and Yellow ochre, together with black and white. Ivory black is a blue black, so mixed with yellow it makes green and mixed with red, purple.
The palette I used:
While I normally use Photoshop to crop and edit my drawings, this time I used the free Gimp 2.8 software to see if I could get similar results.
I had been looking for an easy way to apply a halftone effect to my drawings and Gimp has a filter called ‘newsprint’ that can do this. It’s hidden in the distorts menu ( Filters -> Distorts -> Newsprint).
After some trial and error, I ended up with the settings below.
Cell size is the most important parameter here. The line option in the spot function menu gave also interesting results.
The halftone effect was a little strong, so I duplicated the original layer and applied the plugin to this layer. Then I changed the layer mode to multiply and adjusted the opacity down to 55%.