Painting an Andrew Loomis illustration

photo 600

Yesterday I tried to paint an Andrew Loomis illustration again, after an image I found on the internet.

I used my favourite limited palette (ultramarine blue, yellow ochre, cadmium red) plus burnt umber this time, so I could easily mix a black with ultramarine blue.

One tube at the time, I have now changed all my student grade oil paints to Winsor & Newton Artist colors and I’m happy with the results. It seems less of a struggle to paint, or could it be my slowly increasing painting skills, maybe, I don’t know…

All I know is that I really enjoyed painting this.

Share your thoughts, leave a comment